We must distinguish between a true dust allergy and hypersensitivity.
Allergy is a systemic disease and mostly involves one or two allergens. Often, when allergic to dust, the allergen is a protein found in mite secretions. A mere molecule of this protein can make an allergist miserable. The organism reacts systemically - the result is tearing or sneezing, but also rash, sometimes temperature, headache, in extreme cases choking, anaphylactic shock and death.
Hypersensitivity is not an allergy.
It appears, sometimes disappears, a lot depends on the condition of the moment. Stimuli that can irritate them are many. Fur and feathers, pollens, smog, volatile chemicals, fungi, etc. Sometimes the person in question doesn't even know what it is that irritates them. Tests can detect allergens, but they are short on hypersensitivity.
Dust allergy as well as dust sensitivities can take different forms. Most commonly these are respiratory problems such as sneezing, coughing and watering eyes. Allergies to dust and sensitivities may also be present in the skin in the form of rashes, hives and eczema.
Treatment of dust allergy belongs in the hands of an allergist. Tests will detect an allergen and the doctor will provide an effective medicine that is mostly prescription. These are different types of inhalers and medications with antihistamines or corticoids or crocs.
Hypersensitivity can mostly be managed with over-the-counter medications. Various antihistamines are available as tablets and sprays and nasal drops. Nasal cavity lavage with seawater or isotonic saline solution is also recommended.
Avoiding a specific allergen or irritation can be difficult. The most effective is to use a respirator.
Treatment of skin symptoms
Treatment of both skin allergy and dust sensitivities also involves avoiding an allergen or irritating agent. For prevention, a barrier cream that isolates the skin from dust and prevents allergen contact with the skin can be recommended.
If skin problems already occur, the treatment is symptomatic - it treats the symptoms.
Milder symptoms can be managed with home treatment. For dry and scaly skin, we use moisturising creams with an anti-allergic composition. We only use oily creams if they also contain a hydrating component. Places we wet with baths (hypermanganese, black tea, etc.) or a poultice. After a bath of about 5 minutes, we let the skin breathe and do not overlap. We repeat several times a day.
If symptoms do not improve after 2-3 days, we will seek a dermatologist.
Immediate solution for contact eczema and rashes
- The cream forms an invisible long-term barrier against allergens on the skin
- Prevention of contact eczema, intertrigo, rashes, diaper dermatitis
- Protects up to 6 hours, moisturises, non-greasy, not perfumed